San Francisco Suicide Prevention could not exist without the dedication of over 100 community volunteers every year. Most of our volunteers assist the community on our hotline and internet chat services. However, we also recruit for administrative and outreach volunteers.
Are you a good listener? Caring? Supportive? Understanding? Do you want a real challenge? If you answered YES to any of these questions, then San Francisco Suicide Prevention may be right for you! As a Hotline & Internet Chat Volunteer, you will be doing the following:
- Providing emotional support in a non-judgmental manner
- Empowering callers and chat visitors to look at options and make their own decisions
- Providing crisis management
- Providing information and referrals when appropriate
Administrative, fundraising, and outreach volunteers provide support for a wide range of tasks depending on their experience. Here are examples of some of the potential volunteer activities:
- Organizing fundraising galas
- Cleaning volunteer areas
- Updating referral databases
- Providing outreach to neighborhoods
- Being part of the speakers’ bureau
There are two types of intern opportunities at San Francisco Suicide Prevention: the Clinical Internship Program and other types of internships.