San Francisco Suicide Prevention could not exist without the dedication of more than 100 community volunteers every year. Most of our volunteers assist the community on our hotline and internet chat services. However, we also recruit for administrative and outreach volunteers.
Are you a good listener? Caring? Supportive? Understanding? Do you want a real challenge? If you answered YES to any of these questions, then San Francisco Suicide Prevention may be right for you! As a Hotline & Internet Chat Volunteer, you will be doing the following:
- Providing emotional support in a non-judgmental manner
- Empowering callers and chat visitors to look at options and make their own decisions
- Providing crisis management
- Providing information and referrals when appropriate
The ideal volunteer is someone who is passionate about helping others, has a flexible schedule, and believes in connecting with the community. Volunteers will be fully trained to respond alongside San Francisco’s first responders in the event of a tragedy. A GRT volunteer will provide:
- In person emotional and grief support
- Information about what to expect in the days to come
- Any other immediate needs for the survivors of the loss.
Administrative and outreach volunteers provide support for a wide range of tasks depending on their experience. Here are examples of some of the potential volunteer activities:
- Cleaning volunteer areas
- Updating referral databases
- Providing outreach to neighborhoods
- Being part of the speakers’ bureau
Do you have a background in non profit development or would you like to learn more about the field & business side of non profit work?
Consider joining our Resource Development Committee. This is a group of creative thinking individuals that will meet 4-6 times/year to discuss potential funding opportunities, evaluate the current financial needs of the organization and come up with creative solutions, plan fundraising events, and participate in the business side of non profit work (including grant writing, fundraising events, social media campaigns, strategic planning tours, mailings, and so forth).
Send Resume and Cover Letter to Meghan Freebeck, Development Director, at [email protected]
There are two types of intern opportunities at San Francisco Suicide Prevention: the Clinical Internship Program and other types of internships.