San Francisco Suicide Prevention has opportunities for full-time, part-time and relief positions, as well as internships.
It is our belief that staff diversity promotes appropriate responsiveness to community needs, provides representative role models for all clientele, and improves the quality of our services in a host of ways.
Employment decisions and services provided to clients are not based on race, color, citizenship status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. San Francisco Suicide Prevention fully supports the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and applicable state disability law.
Current Job Openings:
Job Title: GRIEF PROGRAM COORDINATOR
Hours: Part Time (20 hours a week), Exempt. Compensation based on experience
Benefits: Prorated Health, Dental, Vacation, Holidays
SFSP seeks a qualified individual to coordinate the SFSP Grief Programs. This is primarily a pilot program that will respond to requests from public safety officials to provide on-scene practical and emotional support to survivors of the sudden death of a loved one.
- Manage and coordinate volunteer recruitment, training and deploying process in collaboration with the Executive Director and Director of Operations and Development, including, screening, interviewing and reference checks for potential new volunteers.
- Train volunteers who will be a part of the program.
- Distribute volunteer vests and visit materials.
- Expectation to perform core tasks of program, such as dispatcher (sending volunteers to incidents) and responder (responding to incidents) as part of the overall staff/volunteer Grief Response Team. Expect to perform each of these activities on a weekly basis.
- Coordinate program administration and operations.
- Support volunteer retention through volunteer follow-up, continuing education programs, provide emotional support for volunteers and host support meetings for volunteers.
- Provide post-incident client follow-up as needed.
- Some overnight and weekend work time required when incidents occur
- Prepares reports as needed.
- Present information on program to potential funders if needed.
- Coordinate Grief Support Group inquiries.
- Interview Grief Support Group applicants and clients.
- Communicate regularly with Group Support Group Facilitator (volunteer)
- Other tasks as requested by Executive Director
- Strong time management skills and ability to prioritize workload and multi-task
- Solution and detail oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to train and supervise volunteers
- Experience with grief programs or first response desirable
- Able to work flexible hours (including evening, overnight, weekend and holiday hours as needed)
- Computer literate and familiar with computer information systems and programs.
- Bachelor degree required, psychology or social work background preferred
- Reports directly to the Executive Director
- Supervises volunteers
- Resume and cover email to Meghan Freebeck at [email protected]
Job Title: PROGRAM ASSOCIATE: OVERNIGHT
Hours: 11 PM – 7 AM
- Provide overnight shift coverage to San Francisco Suicide Prevention’s emotional support lines.
- Triage calls as needed based on suicide risk assessment.
- Provide information and referrals when appropriate.
- Initiate dispatch of emergency services to highest risk clients as needed.
- Record client contacts database and communicate concerns to Overnight Coordinator.
- Optional participation in daytime outreach events as needed.
- On-line training of new volunteers and other duties as necessary.
Experience & Skills Required:
- Experience providing counseling over emotional support line.
- Ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and with others.
- Attention to detail.
- Completion of hotline training program in mental health or suicide prevention
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training certified
Working Relationships: Reports to Overnight Coordinator. Works closely with Hotline Manager and Volunteer Coordinator, as well as other agency personnel.
To Apply: Please e-mail [email protected] with resume and letter of interest. You will be contacted within one week if you are an eligible candidate for interview. SFSP encourages a supportive environment where differences of ethnicity, culture, sexual orientation, gender, physical ability, and age are valued and appreciated. We seek candidates who share this vision.